The Combermere Bridge on the mall is the oldest British landmark of Shimla. Lord Combermere, British Commander-in-Chief, benefitted the public by making broad, level road around the mount Jakhu, which is about five km in length. The pinewood bridge was constructed in 1928, the year of his visit to Simla, connecting main Simla with Chotta Simla.
Throughout a deep gorge, a quarter of a mile from the ridge, his lordship put up cool ‘Sangha’, or a hill bridge of pines; and also under it a capacious rock storage tank was built to prevent the shortage of water.” The bridge still bears the name of Combermere and also it was the very first step in the direction of the renovation of Simla. The present-day bridge was built in 1971-72. Today Combermere Bridge is a hectic place bordered by the lift to cart road, Indira Gandhi Khel Parisar, Fruit suppliers and also Stroller Wallahas.